Turmeric aka My New Ibuprofen
I’ve always heard that turmeric is really really good for you but I never knew why. So, here are 8 reasons why….
1. Cancer Prevention – Specifically, prostate cancer. Stop the growth of existing prostate cancer and even destroy cancer cells. Multiple researchers have found that the active components in turmeric makes it one of the best protectors against radiation-induced tumors. It also has a preventive effect against tumor cells such as T-cell leukemia, colon carcinomas and breast carcinomas.
2. Arthritis Reliever – Anti-inflammatory properties in turmeric are great for treating both osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. In addition, turmeric’s antioxidant property destroys free radicals in the body that damage body cells. It has been found that those suffering from rheumatoid arthritis who consume turmeric on a regular basis experience much relief from the moderate to mild joint pains as well as joint inflammation.
3. Diabetes Control – Used in the treatment of diabetes by helping to moderate insulin levels, also improves glucose control and increases the effect of medications used to treat diabetes. Another significant benefit is turmeric’s effectiveness in helping reduce insulin resistance, which may prevent the onset of Type-2 diabetes.
4. Heals Wounds – Natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent and can be used as an effective disinfectant. If you have a cut or burn, you can sprinkle turmeric powder on the affected area to speed up the healing process. Helps repair damaged skin and may be used to treat psoriasis and other inflammatory skin conditions.
5. Alzheimer’s Disease Prevention – Supports overall brain health by aiding in the removal of plaque build-up in the brain and improving the flow of oxygen. This can also prevent or slow down the progression of Alzheimer’s disease.
6. Improves Digestion – Turmeric is helpful in treating most forms of inflammatory bowel disease including ulcerative colitis. However it is important to bear in mind that people suffering from any kind of gallbladder disease should not take turmeric as a dietary supplement as it may worsen the condition.
7. Natural Liver Detoxifier – Detoxifies the blood through the production of enzymes and turmeric increases production of these vital enzymes. These vital enzymes break down and reduce toxins in the body. Turmeric also is believed to invigorate and improve blood circulation.
8. Maintains Ideal Body Weight – A component present in turmeric helps increase the flow of bile, an important component in the breakdown of dietary fat. Those who wish to lose weight or treat obesity and other associated diseases can benefit from having one teaspoon of turmeric powder with every meal.
My favorite from all of these is #2. Apparently it is one of the best natural forms of an anti-inflammatory! So you’re telling me I can just add some turmeric to my juices or smoothies instead of taking 4 Advil every 6 hours?! As a retired/still playing athlete my body aches more than it probably should. I keep Advil on me at all times, for multiple reasons (i.e., backaches, headaches, hangovers, etc.). I always wonder if it’s good for me to be taking this much. But to be honest, I just take it because headaches are not fun. Since some recent flare ups and allergic reactions, I’ve been told that my insides are super inflamed, so I’ve been told to take anti-inflammatories. Hence, another reason I’m so pumped about Turmeric, especially this Turmeric Milkshake I scored from Nutrition Stripped. I’ve been having one every day the past week and I feel awesome.
1 cup of Almond Milk
2 teaspoons Ground Turmeric **
1 tbsp Almond Butter (I use Justin’s Maple Almond Butter)
2 Frozen Bananas
2 tbsp Chia Seeds
¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
Dash of Cinnamon to taste
Dash of Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Dash of Sea Salt
Combine all ingredients.
**Turmeric has a weird flavor, but embrace it and know that you are getting your daily dose of some ibuprofen! ☺